Due to the current situation with the Covid-19 outbreak, and to follow government guidelines we’ve had to cancel/postpone this event. Further information will be posted in the next few days. If you have booked we will be in contact very soon with further details.
The Bala Conference 2020
Main speakers – Andy Christofides, Huw Williams, Jeremy Bailey, Dan Hames and Phil Swann
‘What other conferences do not give you is the spirit of love, care and gentleness that I received from Bala Ministers this week. We were not professionals meeting, we were broken men seeking our saviour and He came and met with us and bound us together in love.’ – feedback from previous conference
The Bala conference is for pastors who love Christ and want to see the gospel at work in people’s lives. At the conference you will be warmly welcomed, whatever your background and given the opportunity to join with other Bible-believing, cross-centred and Christ-loving men from across Wales and the UK for prayer, ministry and fellowship.
Bala is a pastoral conference where our aim is not to offer ministry in a vacuum. There is a reality to the conference – a spiritual reality where we earnestly seek God, but also a practical reality where the men aim to support and serve each other in an ongoing capacity throughout the year. We make every effort to be practical and helpful to the situation we find ourselves in Wales, with the speakers very often reflecting a true understanding of the culture and communities of Wales. The programme is split between preaching sessions, prayer times and papers on specific subjects all enveloped in an atmosphere of worship and total dependence on God.
Apart from the stunning views, warm hospitality, great food and opportunity to relax, this is a wonderful time of fellowship and ministry. A warm Welsh welcome, fellowship with gospel men and clear Bible ministry – what more could you want?
Who can come?
The conference is open to men who are called to a recognised pastoral/teaching ministry, including those who have completed their course of training and are about to begin their ministry.
We hope that you will find all relevant general information about the conference (including information about accommodation and bursaries) on the sub-pages. However if you have any questions, please contact the North Wales office who’s staff will be more than happy to try and answer them and help you.
Speakers and Sessions
- 1. Christ and Cross Centred Preaching.
- 2. Preaching Calvary – In the power of the Holy Spirit.
- 3. Preaching the Cross – to the Glory of God!
- By the age of seventeen, Andrew Christofides had come to the conclusion that science had all the answers to life, the universe and everything and that there was no need or room for God. Then, following the first year of his degree in Chemistry, he had an encounter with the Creator himself which totally changed his life! He followed his degree with a PhD in analytical chemistry and worked in industry for five years before entering full-time Christian service as a young people s worker and, since 2000, he has been Pastor of St Mellons Baptist Church, Cardiff. Married to Jill, they have four children and, to date, eleven grandchildren. Andrew is a keen follower of Burnley football club, an avid Star Trek fan, and enjoys keeping up to date with all aspects of science.
- Huw Williams was born and grew up in North Wales. He worked for thirteen years in classical music as a professional conductor, before moving into full time international missions, pastoring the International Church of Torino, Italy for eight years. He has recently moved with his family to Greystones, Ireland, where he has taken up the role of pastor of Hillside Evangelical Church. Huw is married to Alison and they have two daughters.
- After a brief career in teaching, Jeremy studied at the Evangelical Theological College of Wales in the late 1980s. He was called to Pastor Kirby-le-Soken Evangelical Church in Essex for 16 years until 2005 when the Lord uprooted him and moved him to Port Talbot where he happily pastors Bethlehem Evangelical Church. He is married to Jenny and they have one son and a two-year-old grandson.
- Phil Swann began ministry in West Yorkshire in 1990 after leaving his career in Cardiff as a Physiotherapist. He now the Pastor at Llanelli Free Evangelical Church in West Wales. He is also a trustee of the EMW, teaches Pastoral Theology on their Theological Training Course and heads up the leaders ministries. In recent years he has dedicated his time to supporting people through difficult situations and trauma.
- Daniel Hames is Associate Director of Union and lectures in systematic and historical theology. He lives in Oxford where he is also a minister and completing his PhD.
Booking and more information
You can stay on-site or off-site and day passes are also available. We also offer discounted rates and subsidies.
Past Conference media
Listen to past conference sermons here.