Latest Prayer Letter of the EMW
The EMW sends out a two weekly prayer letter that encourages prayer and shares news of various EMW ministries and gospel projects from around Wales.
To receive this letter, please click here
Hear and give ear; be not proud, for the LORD has spoken.
Give glory to the LORD your God before he brings darkness, before your feet stumble on the twilight mountains, and while you look for light he turns it into gloom and makes it deep darkness.
But if you will not listen, my soul will weep in secret for your pride; my eyes will weep bitterly and run down with tears, because the LORD’s flock has been taken captive.
Jeremiah 13: 15-17
We live in a generation where so many people are proud and don’t listen to God and his message of truth and grace. May God give us, his church, a little of the spirit of Jeremiah to weep and pray for those who are captive in sin and judgement.
- On Thursday the pastoral group will be meeting at Aberystwyth. The pastoral group of the EMW contains pastors who represent each geographical area of Wales who come together to pray, share and plan the work of the EMW leaders work. Two points on the agenda for this meeting that need prayer is the Church Training Days and the Bala Ministers Conference in 2020. Please pray for these events and for the men who will be planning.
- The latest edition of Holi/Ask – the evangelistic magazine used in so many missions is being put together this week in the North Wales office. Please pray for Steffan who is leading the project and for all who are contributing. We have many articles this year – testimonies of God’s grace and goodness, gospel presentations, apologetic articles. Finally, please pray for all who will be reading the magazine – may the Lord bless and save them.
- Remember the missions at Merthyr and Llangollen this week (information in last week’s bulletin).
- Please would you pray for Tywyn Baptist Church (Tywyn). Who are planning to start an outreach at local events in the next few months. They are currently holding training sessions on Saturdays. They also ask for prayer for the Christian run youth club (called The Ark) held in Fairbourne village hall on Tuesday evenings.
- Llanelli Free Evangelical Church will be meeting for their latest Café church in Costa Coffee Llanelli on Thursday. Pray for them as they try to reach their community with the gospel.
- The South Wales Revival Conference will be taking place next week at Bridgend. Please pray for the speakers and for God to bless the meetings and give those who attend a sense of prayer for God to work.
- Some North Wales Welsh Evangelical Churches are coming together on Saturday in Bryn-y-groes Bala for their annual conference. Please pray that the Lord would bless the ministry (Steffan Jones is speaking from Pontardawe) and pray for these churches as they try and reach the Welsh speaking communities.
25 June 2019
For the wound of the daughter of my people is my heart wounded; I mourn, and dismay has taken hold on me. Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then has the health of the daughter of my people not been restored? Jeremiah 8:21-22
Gospel work can often be a slog where we mourn over the souls of the people we meet and pray that God would work in them. We’ve all been encouraged last week as we heard that one of our bookshops was visited by a woman – she explained that she had come to the shop a few years previously and was searching spiritually and was guided by the shop manager to buy a Bible. She has now come to faith, been baptised and is a member of a local gospel church. We’ve also heard an amazing story about a young Muslim man who’s been in touch with a pastor as he’d been clearly told by God to go looking for Jesus. God is good!
Pray for the EMW
The Summer Conferences
Jeremy Bailey, the chair of the English summer conference has asked for prayer for a specific issue:
‘We need House Parents for our Youth Blocks in Aber this year. Two couples without young children who are experienced with young people. Please pray that we’d find the right people’.
Please also pray for Ian Parry and Trystan Hallam, the two main speakers at the Summer Conferences.
Bryn y Groes
Gwydion and Catrin Lewis (Conference centre managers) report:
We feel that we are on the last lap of the building work at Bryn-y-groes – thank you for your continued prayers. The groundwork, plumbing and electrics are being finished off. We are awaiting the front door and stairs to the attic. The kitchens are due to be installed any day. The last few bits of building hopefully will be done in the next three weeks. Please pray that the work will be completed in time for summer activities
Builth Wells Mission
Between Monday and Thursday (22-25 July) the EMW will be present at the Royal Welsh agricultural show in Builth Wells God willing. We aim to share the gospel and engage people with the good news of the gospel. Sam Oldridge (Borras Park) will be leading the team. We need support from some churches on specific days to bolster the team numbers. Please pray for this, and more importantly for lives to be saved through the mission. (Contact Steffan Job at the North Wales office if you’d like more information).
Andy Pitt, ministers of Park Baptist Church in Merthyr reports – Next week we’ll be hosting a team of 70 people from Atlanta USA and a group of 20 young people from Brighton, England. They will help us reach about 3000 children and young people with the gospel. Praise God for an open door into our local schools. Besides this, we will take a gospel choir to 6 different towns in the valleys where a clear presentation of the gospel is sung and spoken each evening. We also have a community action team, coffee house team and care home teams saturating Merthyr Tydfil and the surrounding communities. Please pray for God to be glorified and for many people to be saved.
Please pray for a Welsh learners’ coffee morning at Capel y Ffynnon, Bangor on Saturday morning. The coffee morning provides good links into the community as people come to practise their Welsh with members of the Church. Pray that God would use the chats and the links to bring people to the church to hear the gospel.
Next week sees the running of the Llangollen International Eisteddfod in North East Wales. Pray for the local evangelical church – Glanrafon who’ll be witnessing throughout the week. This is a great opportunity to not only reach Welsh people, but visitors from all parts of the World.
17 June 2019
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes. Romans 1:16
Thank you for praying for the Ministers Conference at Bala last week. God blessed the men and it was wonderful to see the unity and burden that they had for each other and for sharing the gospel with the lost. The Lord is good.
Please pray for our bookshops. The managers will be meeting in Aberystwyth tomorrow to discuss and pray about the work. We have five bookshops and although the sales of books are lower than what they used to be, we’re still selling thousands of Christian books and Bible. Another important element of the work is the evangelistic opportunities that the shops provide – they offer an open door and a listening ear six days a week. Pray that the managers and volunteers would have plenty of opportunities to share the gospel.
Pray for ‘Hafan’, the Welsh language retreat for older Christians that is happening in Bryn y Groes this week. Geraint Morse is the main speaker – please pray that the word would be blessed. Whilst we are talking about Bryn y groes – please pray for the new build. The finishing date for everything is fast approaching and we need everything in place in time for the summer camps.
Crickhowell Evangelical Church are having a baptismal service this Saturday. Pray for the three that are being baptised, for James Sercombe the pastors, and for the Non-Christians who will be attending.
Many churches in the heads fo the valleys have come together in partnership to employ a Scripture Union school and youth worker. Pray for them – the finance should be in place for a part time worker this summer, but the aim is to partner with more churches so that the worker can become full time. Pray for the appointment and for opportunities in the local schools.
Pray for Glanrafon Evangelical Church, Llangollen as they prepare for the International Eisteddfod that takes place in the town in two weeks. Pray that people would hear and respond to the gospel. Pray especially for JP Ernest (Open Air Mission) who will be helping the church.
11 June 2019
One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.
I’m currently sitting in an empty conference room at Bala. Men have started to arrive for the Ministers conference – and within an hour this room will be full of singing praises to God – oh to see the emptiness of our land being filled with praise and worship to God in an even more dramatic way. We need Him to move.
May you know the Lord’s rich blessing this week.
Pray for Wales
- This Saturday, 2-5pm; Heath Evangelical Church in Cardiff will have a stall at a local school fair in Whitchurch Road where the church situated. They’ve never done it before; taking advantage of a local opportunity to state who they are and what they believe, with free literature, small items for children to buy, and hopefully a couple of children’s talks. Pray for this opportunity.
- There is gospel literature sharing in Machynlleth this week by a team of Americans.
Pray for EMW ministries
- Bala Conference.
Please continue to pray for the conference and for the men who are attending. We’re expecting over 80 – they labour hard and care for the church all over the country – we really need to remember these men in our prayers. Many men have not been able to come this year due to personal reasons – many due to responsibilities of caring for family members who are ill. Please pray.
- Camp 7 and the Welsh language Camps
We’ve been encouraged by the take up for our summer camps, with bookings up on last year and most camps fully booked. However, a few camps have a number of places left and we’d appreciate prayers for those places to be filled as it would be a missed opportunity to share the gospel with young people. Please pray for camp 7, led by Paul Watkins and Nicola Edkins, with Sam Oldridge as a chaplain that will take place at Bryn-y-groes during 17-24 August for age 13-16. Pray also for the Welsh language camps taking place during 10-17 of August. Pray that numbers would increase and also pray for all our teams who are busy preparing.
4 June 2019
But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ – by grace you have been saved – and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. – Ephesians 2:4-7
Welcome to the new weekly prayer bulletin of the EMW. We hope it will encourage and feed your prayers. Don’t forget to contact us if you have prayer requests that you would like to share with others (reply to this email or follow the link to the portal on the website).
May you know the Lord’s rich blessing this week.
Pray for Wales:
- Mount Elim Church in Pontardawe ran the first of their latest course of Christianity Explored on Sunday evening with several people attending. The other sessions will take place on subsequent Sunday evenings. Please pray for the church and for their pastor Steffan Jones who is leading the sessions.
- Llanelli Free Evangelical Church is holding an evangelistic event on Thursday (6th June) at Costa Coffee in the town. The theme for the evening will be ‘Who’s telling the truth?’. Pray for this great gospel opportunity.
- EMW partnered with local churches and ‘Show Jesus’ last week in the Hay book festival. A brief report can be found online – but please pray for the people who had contact with the team at the event. Pray that the seed that was sown would bring much fruit in the lives of the people. Pray especially for Bethesda Evangelical Church who are based in Hay on Wye – many contacts were made during the week with locals, and we need to pray that these people and for the church. The pastor of the Church is Gordon Bingham.
Pray for EMW Ministries:
- Preparations are ongoing for the Bala Ministers’ Conference to be held at Bryn y Groes next week. The three-day conference is well attended by pastors from all over Wales and is a great opportunity to encourage and serve these men who labour for the Lord. Pray for Phil Swann who will be taking the main sessions (on ‘An enduring Ministry’) and the other speakers – Bob Cotton, Andrew Carter, Paul Wells and Bernard Lewis. Pray especially for the prayer and group sessions – these have been a new development in recent years where the men break to smaller groups to share and pray for each other with the aim of fostering unity and care between leaders in Wales. Pray above everything else that God would work and bless the conference.
- Work is being done in the office this week on the production of a book called ‘Now that I’m a Christian’ by Jonathan Thomas. The book is aimed at young Christians and aims to give basic principles for the Christian life. Pray for this book – that God would use it to equip and encourage young Christians.